Saturday, January 30, 2010

DID GOD MAKE YOU

A little girl was sitting in her Grandfather's lap , as he read her a good night story. From time to time she would take her eyes off the book and reach up and touch his wrinkled cheek. By and by she was alternately stroking her own cheek and then his again.Finally she spoke "Granddaddy,"

did God make you?" "Yes, Sweetheart, "he answered; God made me a long time ago." "Oh she said. "Then Granddaddy did God make me too?" "Yes indeed, Honey," he answered her. "God made you, just a little while ago." "Oh," she said, Feeling their respective faces again, she observed. "God's getting better at it now, isn't He?"

As I read this story I thought of my Grand pa, My mothers dad. As long as I remember he always looked old. He seem to never change. When I was just a little girl, his face was always wrinkled, he was very skinny, always walked slumped over and had gray hair. His hair was very curley and hung down in his face. When he went to the table, grandma would always have his teeth under his plate and his plate turned over on them. He picked up his plate, put his teeth in and begin filling his plate. After he finished he would take them out and put them under his plate and grandma would clean them for him. He never wore his teeth other than for eating. Is that not strang. I didn't know they even made false teeth back then. I wonder why he had no teeth, and how he afforded to buy some.

After we finished eating he would ask us if we wanted a grow pill, he would pinch off a piece of bread and roll it up in a ball and give it to us. I don't remember if we ate it or laid it down. Probably laid it down, my grandpa was not a clean person. The only thing he ever got washed was his feet and the kids washed them every night. He fell in the river once in a while and got wet, he was a great fisherman and fished the Quacita river at Sparkman. I loved him just the same, he was funny in some of the things he would do sometimes. I did not like the way he treated grandma. he made fun of her cooking every meal, but really she could not cook very well and definitely was not a house keeper. Mother made sure the floors was clean and the kitchen when we would visit. We was there at least once a month, always at christmas. Mom and Dad would haul our gifts down there, and they lived on dirt roads a way back in the woods. We always got stuck when we went.

They always had a radio on, that was before TV. Every night they would all gather around and listen to Mat Dillon, Perry Mason, and others that I can't think of now, that would be the highlight of their day. They all worked in the fields and fished that was their life.
On saturday we would hitch up the buck-board or wagon and go into town, shop and see a movie. it cost cents. That was a lot of money them days.
I have been thinking about them days lately, and when I read that poem, I thought of Grandpa and all his wrinkles.
Will write more about him tomorrow. There is so many memories. They just keep coming but I have a cake to decorate. Kelsey is 4 tomorrow, my youngest great grand daughter.
GOD BLESS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved it when Grandpa made me pills. Grow pills or get well pills. I always knew he loved me.He took time with us. That is a grandpa.
Do you remember his vice in the front yard. We played with it.